“Out of the skin” is an educational project, as part of the formal programme of the European Capital of Culture – Pafos2017, which will take place in Paphos from Monday, April 17th until Saturday, April 2nd 2, 2017.
“Out of the skin” is an educational social inclusion project, and is addressed to teenagers between the ages of 15-17, coming from different ethnic and social backgrounds, inviting them, through a series of workshops, to explore questions of their identity, that may often become a cause of conflict, to discover their diversity and its value as a creative resource to produce their own “art”.
A group of professional artists and trainers from Cyprus, Palestine, Slovenia, Finland and the USA will choose a group of 16 teenagers, coming from different European ethnic groups residing in Cyprus and Paphos (Greece, Africa, Russia, China, Romania, Bulgaria, Turkey, Belgian, Dutch, Swedish, German etc.) as well as Cypriot, who will be asked to coexist under the same roof and be engaged in collective creations, transforming experiences into works of art. These works will be presented in a Performing Arts production in Paphos, at the end of the programme, in a form of a showcase and performance on Saturday, April 22nd, 2017.
Participants will have the opportunity to actively learn about different art forms, such as dance and theatre and finally, they will create their own performance themselves, passing throughout the full creative process of production. Participants, with the help of experienced professionals will become creators, producers, artists and not only!
The participants will gain experiences that will act as raw material for further research, analysis, action and finally, for a more active engagement with the arts. The team of professionals has the duty to create the appropriate conditions, to raise questions, to lead to the search for solutions and to provide the participants with the necessary skills, so they will not only create a “good performance” but also experience a continuous creative process of research and action. This will benefit them to learn about art production for the creation of a performance. Some of the questions that will be addressed and explored are: Can the barriers of lack of communication between ethnic communities be overcome through non-verbal art practices such as physical theatre and dance? Why is art important? What is the role of artists in society? How can an artist influence artistic processes and how can the parameters of art production inspire further practices?
The project aims to promote the diversity and creativity of each one of the participants and of the Paphos’ society itself, with the vision to create a positive atmosphere of inclusion and of a common cohabitation, regardless of colour, race, religion, attitudes and beliefs.
The workshops will help the participants to explore ways of discovering the component parts of their identity, of their team members’ and finally of their society, highlighting the common elements that connect them and the differences that make them unique, to understand and confront daily realities of living together and to develop sustainable solutions through the values of creativity, solidarity and acceptance.
As part of the programme “World Travellers’”, the project represents a significant co-creation at the crossroads of three continents, a neutral meeting place – a mosaic where everyone is equal, where everyone is alike and at the same time different, where everyone highlights their common European identity and the beauty of diversity.
Some of the subjects that will be explored during the workshops:
- Hip Hop (dance classes, music understanding, free movement, theory and history, performance)
- How can culture, the language and the body become tools instead of obstacles in telling your story?
- Dancing and Performance skills: training based on release technique, body control and dance improvisation.
- Basics of contemporary dance that support a better understanding of space (personal, physical and social), both inside and outside the body.
- In each one of us there is an actor. A sequence of improvisations in a circle, where you become the audience of your own work. How to guide your body to talk to the world around you. How to create an imaginary world, later to be presented to your audience, while being in an empty space
- Dramaturgy, composition and parameters of the artistic production.
Selection criteria of the candidates:
- Applicants must be aged between 15-17 years
- Applicants must have a different ethnic background (children of refugees, immigrants, expats etc)
- Applicants must be present during the entire duration of the project (Monday, April 17 – Saturday, April 22nd , 2017)
- Good knowledge of English (and Greek)
- Priority will be given to applicants who have a background in arts (visual arts, music, theatre, dance, cinema etc), without it being mandatory
- The answers given in the application from will be taken into account.
- The participation in the project is free.
- The accommodation and board expenses will be covered by the organisers for youngsters travelling from other cities or areas other than Paphos.
- Travel expenses by public transportation will be covered by the organisers.
- The workshops will take place every day from 9am until 9pm with intervals
- The workshops will be held at “Skevi Menelaou” Dance School and at the Cultural Centre “Technopolis 20” in Paphos.
- The final performance/ presentation will take place at the Cultural Centre “Technopolis 20”
- The participants outside Paphos will be accommodated at the Kimonos Arts Centre’s hostel, close to the venue of the workshops.
- During the project a professional chaperone will supervise the participants both at the hostel and during the workshops.
- Parental consent is required for the applicants’ participation
If you are interested please fill in the application form and send it to the following email address firstname.lastname@example.org until March 31st , 2017.
Click here to download the application
For more information please contact us at 99753089 and 99818436.